Saturday, 14 August 2010
Mattala Airport project takes off
The project at a glance
* To play a vital and supportive role in the development activity in the Hambantota region and capture market share of the regional traffic growth.
* To promote the Air-Sea-Transshipment Hub operation in conjunction with the Hambantota Harbour
* To be a key component in the development efforts of the Eastern and Southern coasts
* To be an alternate airport to BIA, offering tremendous fuel and weight savings to airlines, resulting an increased passenger and cargo volume throughout the country
* To facilitate the establishment of a gateway for economic and investment infusion into Sri Lanka.
* Estimated project cost - US$ 210,000,000 (US Dollars two hundred and ten million)
* Extent of land - 2000 hectares. Initial construction would cover an extent of 800 hectares
*Aerodrome design - The aerodrome will be designed to meet the international specifications
*Runway length - Is proposed as 3500 metres and the width is proposed as 75 metres where new A380 could land.
* Taxiways - Recommended to have a 60 metres long taxiway from the runway centre line to the edge of the apron.
* Apron - 10 parking positions will be provided initially, the pavement of the parking apron - 80
* Airfield capacity - Annual service volume of this aerodrome at short and medium/long-term planning horizons will be 30,000 and 600,000 movements respectively
Terminal and related buildings - Size of which is proposed to be 10,000 square metres to accommodate 800 peak hours and 100 domestic passengers